However, keep in mind when dealing w/ students and surfing the internet it's important to remember that no site is really 100% safe even when dealing w/ filtered search engines. Although, when choosing to use search engines w/ students I would definitely recommend starting w/ the following sites below...
Top 10 Safe Search Engines
- Sweet Search - A group of experts (that includes librarians & teachers) evaluate all content from this search engine.
- Top Marks - A great site developed in the UK by teachers who approved everything on this site.
- Quintura for Kids - An innovative search engine for kids that displays results in a cloud based style. Also, has apps for mobile devices.
- Kid Rex - Is a wonderful search engine designed around Google's safe search. Also, it has a very nice visual appeal for kids.
- Ask Kids - A search engine designed for kids ages 6-12.
- Yahoo Kids - Previously known as Yahooligans, Yahoo Kids is a fun site for kids to gather information on the internet.
- Famhoo - A family friendly search engine that filters all content.
- One Key - Developed in 1996, One Key in collaboration w/ Google does a nice job of creating a safe search engine.
- Google (safe search) - Google has a nice safe search setting which can be locked into place at the browser level for those that use Firefox.
- Nettrekker - A great paid site for searching the web not only for students but for teachers as well.