Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Pecha Kucha (1st Attempt)

Well, w/ the support of my PLN and more specifically Shelly Terrell, I have decided to create my very first Pecha Kucha. Which is the name for a presentation that is 20 slides long at 20 seconds each. However, after more research I have discovered that this term also means "bane of my existence" which is exactly how I felt after giving it a shot.

To make a long story short, I switched between using PP and Keynote to create the presentation and after many many many attempts was able to record my audio. Although, after finishing w/ the "bane of my existance" aka Pecha Kucha, I realized that my timing was a tad off and I was two seconds over.

Worst case, I'm going to put this movie into iMovie and just chop the last two seconds off. I really enjoyed this learning experience but realized that it is hard to record your narration when having to be aware of changing your slide every 20 seconds. For some reason, I just couldn't figure out how to record my audio w/ preset timings at 20 seconds a slide, meaning I had to manually switch the slide each time. NOT FUN.

I can see how this works better being improvised (which I did) and having somebody switch the slides for you. I really think I could do a good job at a "live" event.

That being said, this was a great learning experience and I look forward to my next attempts. I recommend contacting Shelly Terrell for more info on Pecha Kucha.

My 1st attempt a (a bit grainy being exported as a web movie for file size reasons)



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

3 comments:

  1. ^High Five^ Great job! Really loved the way you presented the great resources that are available. You also have a very calm but engaging voice to listen to. Congrats again! To create a Pecha Kucha is also on my list of tech goals. :)
    (P.S. I'm also a big fan of Shelly's...she and Eric @NMHS_Principal are why I became a part of this Twitter PLN.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! I love it! It is so much better than the one I'm doing live. LOL! I am so happy you will be presenting this at the Virtual Round Table Conference and I'm so happy you're part of my PLN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done David! You have inspired me to take a shot at this all PK thing! :)

    BTW loved the WEMTA Resources! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment and reading my blog!!