Thursday, January 7, 2010

Building Parent Engagement in Schools by Larry Ferlazzo & Lorie Hammond

"If you are a parent or school staff member, and are reading this book to help you consider how to engage parents in school, the point of this fable is not to encourage you to step forward blindly and tomorrow start a wide-ranging parent engagement effort. Instead, the point is to encourage you to seriously explore it-putting time and talent into this exploration-and make it a priority. And to recognize that it may not be a smooth road forward, and to not let the inevitable bumps deter you. (pg. 79)"

I just had the extreme pleasure of reading Larry Ferlazzo's (of online educational blogging fame) book on parent engagement. It definitely was a first for me reading something like this but being in education and a new parent it gave me a lot to think about.

The first thing I noticed upon reading this book is how intelligently it was written. It was superbly resourced/sited and the reader really feels like the author knows what he/she is talking about.

Also, I was fascinated on reading the chapters on home visits and building a community garden. These are concepts that either were very new to me or something I've only seen in a movie( think Dangerous Minds when Michelle Pfiffer visits the homes of her students), not in real practice.

I must say this is truly a fascinating read and something both parents/educators should read alike.

You can purchase your own copy on Amazon by clicking here.



Finally, I must say at the heart of this book is collaboration/engagement which if you think about, is exactly what Web 2.0 is all about. Not surprising that Larry happens to be one of the leading minds in that area 8-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment and reading my blog!!